Compiz Fusion is the result of the re-unification of the Beryl-project and the community around the Compiz Window Manager. It seeks to provide an easy and fun-to-use windowing environment, allowing use of the graphics hardware to provide impressive effects, amazing speed and unrivalled usefulness. The first Compiz Fusion developer release was Compiz Fusion 0.5.2 on August 13th 2007, shortly after Compiz 0.5.2 was released.
Compiz Fusion, as well as Compiz, is an open-source software project, meaning anyone can use it and contribute to it freely.
It is important to note that Compiz and Compiz Fusion are not the same thing (see: Compiz Fusion Vs Compiz). Shortly said: Compiz Fusion is a community-driven extension pack for Compiz. There is close co-operation between the developers of Compiz and the developers of Compiz Fusion, though; in fact, many Compiz Fusion developers are also Compiz developers.
Features of Compiz and Compiz Fusion
- Hardware-accelerated window management and desktop compositing through OpenGL, using rendering paths like AIGLX, Xgl and direct rendering solutions on some hardware.
- Powerful and flexible plugin interface, allowing almost limitless extension possibilities.
- ARGB rendering, allowing true transparency when the applications support ARGB visuals.
- Compiz Configuration System
- A library which offers transparent support for gconf, kconf and ini settings storage.
A GUI Plugin Configuration Manager, CCSM
- Many community and developer contributed plugins
- Window Decorators, which provide window frames and titlebars
In addition to these technical features, Compiz Fusion has a significant focus on community interaction.
Want to play with some new effects now, without waiting for an upcoming version of Compiz Fusion? Install with Git, and help yourself to our collection of experimental plugins!
AboutCompizFusion (last edited 2008-03-30 18:34:21 by localhost)